Friday, October 5, 2012

Upcycled Coffee Table

My youngest son decided it was time for him to move out on his own, wait for it, a year ago this month.  I can't believe it has already been one year.  He has matured nicely over this past year and I love seeing him take pride in his place.   He shares a townhouse not far from us with 3 friends.  All of them starting out their first time.  While I had stuff that I had been saving for him or my daughter to help with their first homes, I still wanted to do something for him that was unique.

At our cottage we have many pieces of furniture that have been passed down or as we like to say is on the last stop before the dump.  (I know right? we have all had cottages like that).  One of the items was a small coffee table that my husband had in his first apartment back in the late 70's.  I had repainted it a few years ago and it was out on our screened in porch sometimes known as a  Muskoka room.  We happened to have an almost brand new glass and metal Ikea coffee table that had been abandoned by a former business neighbour and that left us with a surplus table.  I thought I would upcycle it and gift it to our son for his new pad rather than toss it out or burn it.


In this picture of our cottage porch the white table is there on the lower left with a game box on it.  What you can't see is that there is dentil (sp) moulding around the top edge.  (I'll tell the story of our porch another day.)

I was attracted to all the Union Jack painted furniture out there and thought how cool that would it be to duplicate that look as a surprise.  Since I am relatively new to this blogging about projects I don't have any pics of it in process.

First I removed the legs, washed and sanded down the entire table. I started with an overall base coat of white.  I used Rustoleum Heritage White in the quart can and painted on 2 coats.  I gave it a light sanding and then carefully penciled in the lines of the union jack carrying the lines right over the dentil moulding and down the sides.  I then masked off the areas I wished to remain white and sprayed the entire table with 2 coats of Rustoleum Colonial Red.   After that had dried completely I carefully masked off the red & white stripes and painted 2 coats of Rustoleum Black in a semi gloss with a brush.  After that had dried for a few minutes, I tried to carefully remove all the tape and dang in a few spots the paint lifted.  Hmmm, I think I shouldn't have used a semi gloss in the red spray paint.  Lesson learned.  However, since I was planning on distressing the table I just left it and worked it into the overall effect.



I sanded the heck out of this with a fine grit 3M sponge sanding block. You can see the red and the white coming through.  Love it!!   I knew that being boys/young men that this table would not be treated gently so I didn't want it looking too pretty. Of course this is when my husband said "what are you doing you're ruining it!"  Yup just like the vanity (see my post here) - men....

 I finished with 2 top coats of WipeOn Poly by MinWax.  Wow I love that stuff.   It's so easy to use and no brush marks!!  I have to thank all the blogs I follow for their amazing recommendations - it's great when you can trust that something will work the way it's supposed to - well other than the paint lifting and that's definitely a newbie error!



I have to say he was very very pleased and surprised.  I was happy with the overall effect and pleased that this table that his dad had in his first place now has a place of honor in his own first place.  I think they are both chuffed about that.

Thank you for any comments you may have and please take a moment and become a follower!!

I have linked this to Thrifty Decor Chick for her December Before and After.



Love Ya
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment